While a majority of all the courses offered by the University of Delhi are based on admissions that are merit-based, there are few courses which use entrance tests as a basis for admissions.
Entrance test-based admissions are such wherein aspirants are admitted to the University on the basis of a combination of marks scored in an entrance test paper and the qualifying class XII marks, offered by the University of Delhi through some of its departments or colleges.
The University of Delhi has entrusted the National Testing Agency (NTA) with its entrance test based University admissions to undergraduate and postgraduate courses, 2020. National Testing Agency is a venture or development by the Ministry of Human Resource Development. It is an independent and self-sustained premier testing organisation under Societies Act, 1860 for conducting transparent and international level tests for students who seek admission into higher education.
This is a complete guide by DU Express about the entrance test based admissions to explain to you the pattern of the entrance tests and give you the general information about guidelines and courses offered by the University of Delhi in its Undergraduate Admission Brochure, 2020.
- General Pattern of Entrance Tests:
- The selection or admission to the University, in the courses offered through its various departments and colleges which are based on entrance tests, will be done according to a merit list prepared by the University on the basis of marks secured by the candidates in entrance tests.
- The entrance test is a two-hour-long Multiple Choice Question (MCQ/ FOUR CHOICES EACH) paper with questions on the relevant subject to test the student’s knowledge. It will consist of 100 questions.
- Marking Scheme: Each correct will be marked a 4 i.e for each correct answer you will get four marks. Each wrong answer will lead to a minus 1 i.e for each wrong answer, you will be given a negative 1 and there will be no negative marking for the questions that are left unanswered.
- For Music Courses: Entrance test for admissions to all music courses will be in a practical format.
This is the general pattern of the entrance tests and the answer to the question “What is the format of an entrance test based admission and an entrance test itself?”
Information regarding Entrance Tests:
- Applicants must visit the Undergraduate Admission Portal on the official website of the University of Delhi for all news and updates regarding Entrance test. It includes the information regarding the test centres, allotment of test centres and generation of admit cards for the test.
- Admit Cards must be carried by all students to test centres in a hardcopy format. That means, all the students are required to print out their admit cards, once made available, in a readable quality.
- The applicant shall also carry an identity proof (Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, Driving License, Voter Identity Card, or College ID card) for verifying the photograph. You should carry the same document you uploaded with the application form.
- The University shall not be held responsible for any clash of date or time of multiple entrance tests, if a student has applied for more than one course.
Courses offered (Entrance Test Based Admissions):
- B.A.(Honours) Business Economics [B.A.(H)BE]
- Bachelor of Management Studies [BMS]
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Financial Investment Analysis) [BBA(FIA)]
- B.Tech (Information Technology and Mathematical Innovations) [B. Tech (IT and MI)]
- B.A.(Honours) Humanities and Social Sciences [B.A.(H)HSS]
- Bachelor of Elementary Education [B.El.Ed]
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Education, Health Education and Sports [B.Sc (PE, HE and S]
- B.A.(Honours) Multimedia and Mass Communication [B.A.(H)MMC}
- Five Year Integrated Programme in Journalism [FYIPJ]
- B.A(Honours) in Hindustani Music- Vocal/Instrumental (Sitar/ Sarod/ Guitar/ Violin/ Santoor)
- B.A.(Honours) in Karnatak Music- Vocal/ Instrumental (Veena/ Violin)
- B.A.(Honours) in Hindustani Music – Percussion (Tabla/Pakhawaj)
The entrance test based admissions are soon to be started by the University of Delhi. This may be all the information you want to know about the Entrance Based Admissions. The course-wise eligibility criteria are available here.