My personal favourites are cakes, aren’t yours? Cakes are super yummy and soft desserts. Chocolate cake, sponge cake, marble cake, all mouth-watering baked batter of happiness. I know we have been missing bakeries and gourmet foods and with the lockdown still going on, there is no way you can hog on some cakes, pastries or doughnuts. But as always “The Taste Palate” to your rescue is back again with the recipe of orange delight cake. With the flavour of orange juice and richness of sponge cake, this cake melts in your mouth and gives you that satisfaction you have been craving.
Without much ado, let us get started with the recipe.
Quantity: Almost 500 gms cake
- All-purpose flour (Maida) – 1 medium bowl or 1+¼ cups
- Oil – 1/4th cup
- Butter – 3/4th of 250 gms bar or 1/4th cup melted
- Powdered/ castor Sugar – 3/4th cup
- Curd/ Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Eggs – 2 nos.
- Orange Juice – 1 glass (fresh or packed)
- Orange peel – 1 tsp
- Food colour (Yellow)- a pinch mixed in 1 tbsp water
- Chopped Nuts
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp (optional)
- Take a large mixing bowl. Pour oil, butter, throw in eggs, curd and sugar. Give them a whisk or mix them until combined well.
- Now, take a sieve and sieve flour, baking soda, and baking powder into the wet ingredients.
- Whisk all the ingredients together nicely so that they are combined well and baking soda is spread evenly in the batter.
- Add in half of the orange juice, vanilla extract and food colour. Mix the batter with the cut and fold method.
- Throw in your chopped nuts and Orange peel and combine them evenly in your batter.
- Prepare your baking tray by greasing it with oil or butter and placing a parchment paper. Skip the paper if you do not have it.
- Now, Shift your batter in the baking tray and top it with some nuts.
- Turn your microwave to convection mode and select 180 degrees temperature. Now, place the baking tray inside and bake the cake for 35-40 minutes.
- Your cake is perfectly baked when the toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes clean.
- Now, take a saucepan. Pour in half of the orange juice and thicken it for 3-4 mins.
- Pour this sauce on the cake when your cake is slightly warm.
- Leave it to cool down completely.
- Transfer it into a plate, cut it and serve with tea or coffee.
Some points to keep in mind:
- I used fresh orange juice. The results may slightly differ with the packed one.
- Food colour is optional. It gives a nice colour to your cake.
- Bake it in a glass tray or glass bowl.
- You can store this cake for 3-4 days. Do not keep it in the refrigerator.
- You can use condensed milk in place of eggs if you are vegetarian. Use half cup condensed milk for a smooth texture.
This is all for a sumptuous cake to devour on. This simple recipe turned out very delicious and complements your tea or coffee well. Also, it serves as a nice dessert option for you. Our quest for finding tried and tested recipes for you is always ongoing. Until the next recipe, toodles!