Tea and cakes are a complete package of flavour and appetite filling characteristics and when it comes to dry fruit cakes. My personal favourites are cakes without icing and cakes baked with simple ingredients. While I was craving a bakery-style dry fruit cake, I tried this recipe and it turned out sumptuous.
Here’s me sharing it with you and explaining both the methods- with oven, and without oven.
Wet ingredients :
- Yoghurt – ½ cup
- Unflavored Cooking Oil – ¼th cup
- Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
- Milk (Room Temperature) – ¼th cup + 1 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup + ¼th cup + 1 tbsp
- Powdered Sugar – 3/4th cup
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Dry Fruits – 1/4th cup + 2 tbsp
- (Any dry fruits you like)
- Take a mixing bowl and add all your wet ingredients except milk. Whisk them for 2 minutes or so until oil is combined well with the rest of the two.
- Now, take a sieve and sift your flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients in batches and mix well.
- Add milk and make a smooth batter.
- Now, chop your dry fruits and dust them with 1 tbsp all-purpose flour.
- Add them to the mix.
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees for 5 minutes. If you do not have an oven, preheat your microwave at convection at 180 degrees for the default time period. Or if you do not have both, use a pressure cooker without the whistle. Create a thin layer of salt inside the pressure cooker, place a low rack and preheat for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Grease your baking tray and line it with the parchment paper or butter paper.
- Now, pour the batter and top it with some dry fruits and tap the tray twice.
- Place your tray inside the preheated oven, microwave or pressure cooker.
- Bake it for 20- 25 minutes at 180 degrees in both the oven and the microwave convection until the toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean at once. Or bake it for 25-30 minutes on medium flame.
- Check the cake by inserting a toothpick.
- Cool it down and serve with tea or coffee.
Tips to Remember :
- Use a mix of dry fruits for a flavorful cake. I used a mix of walnuts, almonds, cashews and tutti frutti.
- Use a pan which is not prone to heat if you bake it on the stove.
- Dusting you dry fruits is important. Do not skip that step.
A simple yet delicious cake to rely on when you are hungry and craving for baked goods. Try it on until we come up with another recipe on “The Taste Palate.”